Friday, July 12, 2013

Life is...

Mother Teresa, mother of all.  She was so kind and gentle and loving.  Her words were motivational and inspirational.  She was an inspirational figure and role model, putting others before herself and helping those that were sick and poor.  I am proud to say that my family knows how to give back to their homeland, the Philippines.  They started out poor and worked their way up to being successful today.  Although their lives have gotten better than from where they started, they never forget their roots and send back food, money, and clothes back to their true home.  My late grandparents had a big family and struggled to give their kids and grandchildren the best that they could afford.  I wish they knew that they gave me and my entire family the best thing ever, LIFE.  Without them, we wouldn't be alive.  Without them, my family would not have made it to Hawaii.  They inspired me to challenge myself and overcome all my struggles.  I might have learned the hard way, but what they taught me definitely helped me survive the worst in life.  My late cousin also lived like Mother Teresa, living her young childhood to the fullest without a teardrop.  She fought hard til her death, but didn't lose her faith.  Sometimes, when life seems so difficult, just listen to Mother Teresa's words.  It's YOUR life and only YOU can change the outcome.  It's never too late to change your life.  I am glad that I chose to make my life better because in turn, I chose to give my son a better life.


Life Is….
by Mother Teresa

Life is an opportunity, benefit from it.
Life is beauty, admire it.
Life is a dream, realize it.
Life is a challenge, meet it.
Life is a duty, complete it.
Life is a game, play it.
Life is a promise, fulfill it.
Life is sorrow, overcome it.
Life is a song, sing it.
Life is a struggle, accept it.
Life is a tragedy, confront it.
Life is an adventure, dare it.
Life is luck, make it.
Life is too precious, do not destroy it.
Life is life, fight for it.


I am constantly searching for inspirational quotes, sayings, and poems every day to help me during my struggles and fears. Some poems and quotes are long with stories and lessons, and some are short and to the point. This poem stood out to me because it sums up how everyone should look at life in simple and inspirational words. The familiar words have such powerful meanings without having to tell an example or story about life. The poem is a story on its own based on how a reader interprets it. Although the subject is what makes a powerful quote, this poem is powerful because of the meaning behind the words.


Sometimes, a sentence with less words can have more meaning. The basic techniques used in this poem make the words easy to understand by many people. When you look at each line, an obstacle or situation about life is presented,and then it is is followed with a suggestion. Mother Teresa stated the facts of life in the simplest terms possible The subject of life is stated in each sentence by beginning with the words, “life is.” The language is very clear and the rules of English are properly used. Each sentence is efficient, using words that are compatible with one another. Mother Teresa puts her audience in awe because she needed no cliches or jargon to make her points about life. All she did was make the words simple and easy to understand, making the words easily to relate to other people’s lives.


The main reason why I chose this quote is because I could relate to everything that was written about life. It is like a summary of the millions of quotes that I have read throughout my life. I feel like many popular sayings about life stem from the lines of this quote such as “life is like a roller coaster,” “nobody said life would be easy,” and “live your life to the fullest.” What I like the most about this quote is that the simplicity of the words create bold statements with deep meanings.



For me, the line that stands out to me the most is,”life is a struggle, accept it.” My life has been full of obstacles and struggles, and I used to regret the decisions I made when I was younger. Reading that one line helped me accept my past and move on to create a better future for myself and my son. Each line of the poem can also relate to each other, based on how the reader defines the words. What makes this poem so successful is the simplicity. Less words allow readers to create their own understanding by using the words define their own lives. This is truly a good piece of writing. Mother Teresa's modesty was shown in both actions and words. I think the best kind of writing is one that anyone can understand and relate to.


No comments:

Post a Comment