Friday, February 1, 2013

Keeping places secure and safe


This week, our class watched Magnum P.I. and it was very interesting seeing how Hawaii was portrayed on television.  As I watched the episode, "Don't eat the snow," I realized that security at the airport and military bases were not as strict as they are today.

I still remember being able to go through security to see my family and friends off at the airport.  We would be able to wait with them at their gates and watch their plane leave.  Today, all we can do is part before security checkpoints because airport employees do not want to risk having a terrorist cause havoc.  It's sad that so many things that were allowed have now been taken away, but I must look at it differently.  The strict security levels are only to protect our nation.

Military bases have always been very strict on their policies, but according to the show, a person with a uniform can easily get on base without having to show their I.D.  It's not that easy to be able to sneak onto a military base and access confidential files without valid proof of identification.

Magnum P.I. has definitely raised my awareness of the changes on Oahu from the past.  I honestly think the nation went through a significant change after 9/11 and it's all for our safety.  Sometimes, we don't realize how much freedom we really had until it got taken away.  I think that certain horrific events lead to a heightened sense of security in many people.  I miss being able to hang out with friends and family until their plane leaves, but I'd rather be protected and safe from any terrorist attacks.

1 comment:

  1. Things have definitely changed. Pretty crazy to think what one event could do to a whole nation...

    ReplyDelete