Friday, February 15, 2013

Self-diagnosis and self-medication

I've been sick for quite a while and I have seen my doctor at least twice within the last couple of months.  I'm beginning to think that I should just try some natural remedies and I looked on the internet to find ways of relief.  Today, lots of people try to self-diagnose themselves with the use of internet sites such as "Web MD" or by googling their symptoms.  

Just by looking up "post-nasal drip remedies," I found pages and pages of results.  Surprisingly, Web MD was third on the list of results.  I found many natural ways to relieve the symptoms that I had and one of those ways was to use something called a Neti Pot.  It's an interesting and weird way of relieving nasal issues.  If you haven't tried a Neti Pot before, it allows you to flush your nasal passages with saline solution.  It relieves your nose for a short period of time.  

I found out how to self-diagnose myself through my friends that are stay-at-home mothers.  They are constantly finding natural foods and natural ways to help their children be healthy without the use of strong medicine.  It's funny how many people rely on the internet for more than just social networking.  


I admit that I looked up what ADHD and ODD is to find some homeopathic remedies for my son.  He's only 6-years-old and I'm trying to stay away from strong medicines such as Ritalin and Adderall.  I've heard that strong drugs can have major side effects and can even stunt your growth.  

It's such a scary world out there and I'm trying my best to be a good mother.  I seem to rely on advice from all my friends that are mothers and also internet sources on how to be a good parent.  Ultimately, parenting comes from experience and trial and error.  Not all children are the same but some parenting methods can be applied to others.  


When it comes to medicine and sickness, everyone has their own way of treating themselves, whether it's by going to a doctor to get some prescription medicine or by looking up natural ways to relieve pain. I do what is best for me and my family.  

No comments:

Post a Comment